S. Cal Birding Trip update 1

  • Brett Scheffers
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Dear Cal birders,
      We have been continuously birding since July 27 and we have come up with many lifers. Thanks again for your help in finding good locations. Probably most noteworthy to Cal birders were two Baird’s Sandpipers that we found in the large shorebird gathering at the Santa Clara River estuary, Ventura on Jul 28. There were some other nice sp. such as Red Knot and 20 Snowy Plovers (one was color banded—where should we send this info?).
      The shorebirds were also in huge numbers at the Salton Sea (along hwy 111/Garst rd. sp.?/ Red Hill Marina) yesterday. We saw over 1,000 Black-necked Stilts, several hundred Avocets, 50 Marbled Godwits etc. Of interest was a flock of about 20 Red Phalaropes at Red Hill Marina. We also located about 12 Yellow-footed Gulls (at both locations on the sea) and 5 Burrowing Owls along the road west of Garst.
      One other note, we did finally find a Flammulated Owl along the Angeles Crest hwy. Thank you Lance Benner for the help with this species!! Also in the San Gabriels were Dusky Flycatcher (Buckhorn Flat CG) and Mountain Quail (1 mile east of Chilao visitors center).
      Oh one more thing! We had fantastic luck with a displaying pair of Le Conte’s Thrashers at Jawbone Canyon (about 400 yards west of the white aqueduct pipe). Crippling views!!
      Thanks again for your help and we will send another update later on. Now on to northern Cal.

      -Brett Scheffers and Bert Harris
      University of the South, Sewanee, TN