Varied thrush locations in N CA?

  • Dr Stephen Barlow
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hi,

      I hope to be doing some birding on the CA coast and Central Valley
      from San Fransisco northwards over the Christmas period. In
      particular, I'd be interested in seeing Varied Thrush, "Sooty" Fox
      Sparrow, Harlequin, and Rock Sandpiper, so I'd be grateful if anyone
      could let me have any info on good sites for any of those species.

      Thanks very much in advance
      Steve Barlow

      Dr Stephen Barlow
      Department of Chemistry
      University of Arizona
      Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
      Tel: (520)574-0456 ext 14
      Fax: (520)574-7810
      sbarlow@...
    • Dr Stephen Barlow
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        I'd like to thank everyone for their info on Varied Thrush and my
        various other target species for a trip to N. California. As a result
        of the consensus of this advice, I included Mendocino Co as a main
        part of my plan. After a couple of days visiting a non-birding friend
        in the E SF Bay area, had a couple of days birding round Fort Bragg,
        then a long day driving down to Bodega Bay, then through the coast
        ranges (stopping Guerneville and Anderson SHP) to Williams. The next
        day went round Sacramento NWR and Colusa NWR, and had an hour or so
        in L. Merritt Park in Oakland before catching the plane back. I
        managed to see all the target species I asked about and more. I
        haven't totalled my list up yet, but here are some of the more
        interesting birds I had:

        RED-NECKED GREBE - Laguna Pt (McKerricher SP), Noyo Hbr mouth, Bodega Hbr mouth
        LAYSAN ALBATROSS - 1, Pt Arena cove
        CATTLE EGRET - 1, Lake Merritt
        EMPEROR GOOSE - 1, Bodega Bay
        TUNDRA SWAN - Garcia river nr Pt Arena and NE of Sacramento NWR
        WOOD DUCK - McKerricher SP and Anderson State Hist. Park
        HARLEQUIN DUCK - 7 (5m, 2f) in the surf at Glass Beach, F. Bragg
        BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - Lake Merritt
        HOODED MERGANSER - 1m + 1f, Sacramento NWR
        BALD EAGLE - 3 birds, Sacramento and Colusa NWRs
        PEREGRINE - several along the coast
        RUFF - 1, Bodega Bay
        ROCK SANDPIPER - 2, Laguna Pt
        THAYER'S GULL - 1st winters on the beach at Van Damme SP and at the
        mouth of the Russian River
        SHORT-EARED OWL - 3, Anderson State Hist. Park (this was somewhere I
        stopped for a quick break from driving and which turned out to be
        really rather good)
        LEWIS'S WOODPECKER - 1, Anderson State Hist. Park
        DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER - 1, L. Merritt
        AMERICAN DIPPER - Russian Gulch SP
        VARIED THRUSH - Russian Gulch SP, McKerricher SP (boardwalk round the
        lake), Van Damme SP
        SOOTY FOX SPARROW - no trouble finding these (one of my targets)
        along the coast! Had my 1st on a trip to Alcatraz with my non-birding
        friend
        COMMMON GRACKLE - 1m, Guerneville
        YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE - several in the Central Valley
        GRAY JAY - 2 in the lower campground at Van Damme SP

        Thanks again to all who proferred advice and especially to those I
        didn't get round to thanking individually.
        Cheers
        Steve

        Dr Stephen Barlow
        Department of Chemistry