Salton Sea Area Bird Sightings (near Brawley, Westmoreland, CA)

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Salton Sea Area, north of Westmoreland within 2-3 miles of Sonny Bono NWR and near Brawley

      7-29-06

      104 degrees when I left at 2:30 pm; 84 degrees when I began at 7 am

      *

      Among my day’s totals, only the most noteworthy and significant appear:
      (corresponding to streets and places appearing in the S. & C. CA Atlas & Gazetteer, p. 117 and 125)

      *

      p. 117, Sentry Rd., n. of Westmoreland (which is just west of Brawley)

      - BURROWING OWL (1)
      - SHORT-BILLED DOW. (1) (in large group of WF Ibis & BN Stilts)

      p. 117, @ Sonny Bono visitor center area:

      - CA THRASHER (1)
      - BLACK PHOEBE (4)
      - VERDIN (2)

      p. 117, Lindsay Rd. at waterfront (in large pond)

      - WOOD STORK (5)
      - GREAT EGRET (3)
      - SNOWY EGRET (9)

      p. 117, north on Lack Rd., along which at different points I saw:

      - both AM. WHITE (3) and BROWN PELICAN (5)

      P. 117 on Lack Rd. to Grubel, and at this intersection, turning right to see:

      - WILSON’s PHAL (3) (at pond near Grubel & Severe Rd., turning north onto Severe)
      - LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (2) (on sand flat along water near Obsidian Butte)
      - YF GULL (2) (same area)
      - SNOWY PLOVER (3)
      - WESTERN SANDPIPER (350 & many others elsewhere at many of my stops throughout the day)
      - LEAST SANDPIPER (3)
      - AMERICAN AVOCET (14)
      - CASPIAN TERN (9)
      - WHIMBREL (8)
      - LAUGHING GULL (12, 7 of which were in basic/non-breeding plumage)

      p. 117, 200’ later on Grubel in small pond:
      - RED PHALAROPE (1)………then to Hill Rd.:

      p. 117 – BLACK TERN (12, 7 of which were in alternate/breeding plumage; 5
      in basic/non-breeding season plumage)
      - CLARK’s GREBE (1)
      - W. GREBE (4)

      Later, at Cattle Call Park near Brawley (p. 125) (Take Highway 86 south out of Brawley and turn right about 1 mile later onto Cattle Call Rd.):

      - Four dove species: Mourning (2) (and many other individuals elsewhere in the same area), Common Ground Dove (1), Eurasian collared-Dove (8, and many others at almost every other stop I made where suitable perching vistas appeared), White-winged Dove
      - GILA WOODPECKER (3)
      - ANNA’s HUMM. (2)
      - CACTUS WREN (1, singing and also seen up close)

      Daniel Edelstein

      Novato, CA (Bay Area)

      http://home.earthlink.net/~edelstein

      12 Kingfisher Court