help with Salton Sea and San Diego

  • Bert Harris
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2006
      Dear CA birders,

      My friend and I are planning to bird California from Jul 27 - Aug 7. We are flying to Los Angeles on the 27th (it was the cheapest) and we plan to head straight to the Salton Sea from there. While in the area we hope to find Yellow-footed Gull. Has anyone seen this species recently? We know that this is a bad time of year for desert birding but since we will be in the area anyway, we thought we would try for Le Conte's Thrasher. Could anyone help us with details on this bird?
      From the sea, we plan to move on to the San Diego area for a day with our main goal being California Gnatcatcher. Has anyone seen this bird recently? Next we plan to go to the San Gabriel mtns with hopes of Mountain Quail (Butterbredt Spring) and Dusky Flycatcher. Is hwy 2 still closed?

      Can anyone give advice for Gray Vireo, Elegant Tern, Chukar, Costa's Hummingbird?

      We are only planning to spend a few days in southern California. Some birds that we plan to try for further north are as follows:

      Long-eared Owl, Flammulated Owl, Black Swift, CA Thrasher, White-headed Woodpecker

      If someone knows of a good spot near where we are visiting while in Southern CA then we might as well try for them there.

      Thank you very much for your help.

      Bert Harris
      Huntsville, AL

    • Bert Harris