Caracara back in Carmel, Monterey County

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2006
      Hey birders. While leaving our banding station at the
      Carmel River Lagoon this morning (Monterey County),
      Brett Tryon and I had great looks at the CRESTED
      CARACARA that has been seen off-and-on in various
      locations in Monterey County since April. The bird
      spent several minutes circling low over the Odello
      Lagoon restoration site before moving off to the east.
      Also of note was a HOODED WARBLER that we both heard
      calling and I saw briefly.

      Odello Lagoon is currently closed to the public.
      However, this bird may be visible from Cross Hill
      (access is off of Ribera Road, the first road south of
      the Carmel Bridge on Highway One), or from the
      shoulder of Highway One (exercise caution here!).

      Of further note, the Carmel River is currently flooded
      to capacity, and as such, there is currently no
      Shorebird habitat there, except perhaps along the
      beach (which I did not check today). I hope the River
      breaches soon! Good birding,

      Matt Brady
      Pacific Grove

      http://mail.yahoo.com