New AOU update

  • Morgan Churchill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 2:56 PM
      Had not yet seen this mentioned on the list yet, so I figured I would
      post this, the 47th AOU checklist update

      http://www.aou.org/checklist/Suppl47.pdf

      Major changes include some revision in the taxonomy of
      Charadriiformes. The tern genus Sterna is broken up into several new
      genera, and the Willet and tattlers get lumped into the genus Tringa.
      Jaegars and skuas finally get family recognition, the Sterocorariidae,
      and our more closely related to the alcids then larids.

      Of importance to listers, the Blue Grouse has been split into two
      species, the coastal Sooty Grouse (Dendragapus fuliginosus) and the
      interior Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus). I am assuming the Sooty
      Grouse is the only species we get in California, and the one I
      encountered this past weekend in Yosemite. Though if anyone has
      information to the contrary it would be most appreciated.

      Drastic changes still have not been recognized by the AOU yet in bird
      taxonomy, but every little bit helps I guess

      --
      Morgan Churchill
      San Diego (SDSU area)