Yosemite+ Pinnacles trip report

  • Morgan Churchill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hello everyone

      I just got back from Yosemite National Park and Pinnacles National
      Monument, and first off, I would like to thank everyone who emailed me
      on advice on where to bird. The advice was crucial in many of our
      birding decisions. Overall, I was able to get 9 lifers and several
      state birds, which isn't too bad for my first visit at Yosemite, which
      had to be structured around a non-birding event (IE wedding).

      Friday July 7th
      Chevron Meadow: RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER,
      LINCOLN'S SPARROW.
      Despite waiting till past 8:30p.m., we had no luck with the Great
      Gray Owl, partially because we were tired and didn't want to wait
      longer.

      Saturday July 8th. Bridaveil Falls. Couldn't get people up early
      enough for Black Swift and we "dipped" on American Dipper. Did at
      least get our first of many WESTERN TANAGERS.

      Merced Grove
      BLACK SWIFT (overhead), HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER, WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER,
      FOX SPARROW

      Most of the rest of the day was taken up with wedding related stuff,
      though we did have a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER at Curry village, of all
      places.

      Sunday July 9
      Olmstead Point
      RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD, first of many YELLOW-BELLIED MARMOTS and
      GOLDEN-MANTLED GROUND SQUIRRELS.

      Ellery Lake
      GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCH (point blank, crippling good looks), CLARK'S
      NUTCRACKER, MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD

      South Tufa
      SAGE THRASHER (again...awesome close up good looks), BREWER'S SPARROW

      Mono Lake County Park
      BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE, WILSON'S AND RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, and BELDING'S
      GROUND SQUIRREL

      White Wolf Lodge area
      CASSIN'S FINCH, EVENING GROSBEAK

      Monday, July 10
      Glacier Point
      GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, SOOTY GROUSE
      McGurk Meadow
      CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD, DUSKY FLYCATCHER

      Tuesday, July 11
      Pinnacles National Monument
      CANYON WREN and PRAIRIE FALCON were highlights. no luck with
      Condors...apparently they are not frequently the park as much lately,
      and many of them have left the vicinity to scavenge a stranded whale
      near Big Sur.

      Dipped on some birds I was hoping to get, like Black-backed
      Woodpecker, Williamson's Sapsucker, and American Dipper, but overall
      the trip went pretty well. Thanks again for all the help
      --
      Morgan Churchill
      San Diego (SDSU area)