Bird Pecks Patio Glass Door

  • s white
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2006
      Hello:

      I am new to this group, without much knowledge about
      birds, and was brought here by a strange bird in our
      yard. I seemed to have found the answer from my
      neighbor for the strange thing. But I would like to
      hear from you if there are any other reasons.

      Since mid-June, a bird comes to our patio glass door
      everyday and pecks on it tirelessly. The first time I
      saw it being strange was when I walked towards my car.
      The bird was pecking the car¡¯s mirror.

      The bird is brown and is about four times larger than
      a hummingbird. They come in pair. My neighbor¡¯s
      explanation is that the bird is the male one of the
      couple. He sees himself in the mirror or the glass
      door, and thinks that being his competitor. He pecks
      the glass door to drive the ¡°competitor¡± out and
      fights for his female mate.

      Does anyone have any other explanation?

      Thank you,

      Song White
      Lafayette, CA

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • s white
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2006
        Dear All:

        Thank you for all the responses. I believe the bird
        in my backyard is Towhee. I learned too from several
        group members that American Robins also have similar
        behavior. I took a photo of the bird in my yard and
        am attaching it in this email. Here are some update:
        I covered the door with newspaper. It helped the
        door, but the bird started to peck the glazed
        flowerpots in the yard. He seems very happy though.

        Song White
        Lafayette, CA