RE: [CALBIRDS] Tern Colony Disaster

  • Lidia Seebeck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      *Putting down my binocs for a moment to put on my political hat*

      If there is one thing I have learned in my six years of being politically
      active, is that most incumbent politicians are deathly scared of their
      little fiefdom being upset by some issue or force, either from within their
      Party or otherwise, causing a defeat. All the recent attempts at
      gerrymandering point to this phenomenon. If birders want to remedy this
      situation, letters to those officials up for re-election this year could
      work wonders. If officials seem insensitive, then publicizing their

      It's probably wise to look at the issue as one of responsibility rather than
      focusing on the birds. If the letters are perceived as being from a fringe
      of animal welfare types, they may not get as much response as if the letters
      point to the barge owner's responsibility in knowing laws that affect his
      boat operation such as the MBTA. For that matter, if people actually
      perceived one of their responsibilities as being to protect ecological
      diversity, this would be a different society!

      Lidia Seebeck

      Pachappa Hill, Riverside CA

      _____