Re: RFI: Point Reyes and surrounding area

  • Richard Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
      Point Reyes is lovely and sucks in mnay rarities
      during migration, but for just plain birding you'll
      see more species with less driving heading south of
      SF. The San Mateo coast has nearly all of what you're
      looking for.

      I've always found Muir Wods to be so overcrowded as to
      be lousy birding on weekends. I'd skip it, unless you
      know where the Spotted Owls are roosting lately.

      RCC

      Richard Carlson
      Full-time Birder, Biker and Rotarian
      Part-time Economist
      Tucson, AZ & Lake Tahoe, CA
      rccarl@...
      Tucson 520-760-4935
      Tahoe 530-581-0624
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
        On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:58:28 -0700 (PDT), "Richard Carlson"
        <rccarl@...> wrote:

        >...but for just plain birding you'll
        >see more species with less driving heading south of
        >SF. The San Mateo coast has nearly all of what you're
        >looking for.

        Visiting birders should be aware that Hwy 1 has been closed at Devils Slide
        since April and is not expected to re-open until sometime in September.

        http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/stormdamageroute1/

        One can still get to Half Moon Bay via I 280 and 92, but it takes a while
        longer.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        Fall Birding Classes start Sept 6 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/