Mt Pinos

  • Lori Conrad
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 6:21 PM
      Hi all

      We camped overnight last night in McGill campground, which is on the way up to Mt. Pinos, & were delighted with how birdy it was!

      The Fox Sparrows & Green Tailed Towhees were all singing, & we had Lawrence's Goldfinches right in our campsite. It must be a good year for Mountain Chickadees, as they were everywhere. The best birds were: a large group (24?) of Crossbills (all juveniles/immatures) in the campground on Sat. afternoon (some even on the ground!), & today we has a pair of Evening Grosbeaks drinking in the creek along the trail that goes from Mcgill to the Mt Pinos campground. Lots of Cassin's & Purple Finches, & White Headed Woodpeckers, too. Surprisingly hummers were scarce, despite the abundance of flowers, esp. penstemon.

      Lori & Mark Conrad
      Hermosa Beach, CA