Re: Re: [CALBIRDS] Tern Colony Disaster

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      You mean like the slap on the wrist that guy who knowingly shot AC-9 (the California Condor) on Harris Ranch got???

      Yeah right.

      Tom

      >From: Luke Cole <luke@...>
      >Date: Sun Jul 02 10:54:52 CDT 2006
      >To: Ed Stonick <edstonick@...>, CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Tern Colony Disaster

      >This seems like an excellent opportunity for criminal prosecution under state and federal endangered species laws. We need to put pressure on the local District Attorneys and U.S. Attorneys to have some prosecution -- outrageous!
      >
      >Luke
      >
      >Luke Cole
      >San Francisco

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
      -Oscar Wilde
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
        Hi Luke and Tom!

        I think the perpetrator may indeed face criminal charges, even though the
        terns are not on the endangered list. The latest news is that the owner
        deliberately hosed the nests and babies into the water so the barge could be
        towed to wherever it was going for a fireworks show.

        Regards,
        Ed

        Ed Stonick
        Pasadena, CA
        edstonick@...

        You mean like the slap on the wrist that guy who knowingly shot AC-9 (the
        California Condor) on Harris Ranch got???

        Yeah right.

        Tom

        >From: Luke Cole <luke@...>
        >Date: Sun Jul 02 10:54:52 CDT 2006
        >To: Ed Stonick <edstonick@...>, CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Tern Colony Disaster

        >This seems like an excellent opportunity for criminal prosecution under
        state and federal endangered species laws. We need to put pressure on the
        local District Attorneys and U.S. Attorneys to have some prosecution --
        outrageous!

        >Luke
        >
        >Luke Cole
        >San Francisco

      • Thomas Myers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
          Does anyone know what species of tern these were?

          Thomas Myers
          San Diego

        • Kimball Garrett
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
            Birders,

            There is, evidently, a full-blown investigation of the Long Beach Harbor
            tern colony disaster in the works. But this merely points out that
            wildlife agencies seem impotent to do anything to prevent such disasters
            (they can only attempt to react after disasters have happened). This is
            due mainly to two things:
            (1) California Fish and Game and U. S. Fish and Wildlife have
            been hit by staff and budget cutbacks (and, they will argue, by court
            challenges to their work) for so long that they can do very little in
            the way of habitat and wildlife protection. We're partly at fault
            because "we" keep electing anti-environment budget-axing politicians who
            could care less about wildlife. Fortunately, most politicians have to
            publicly appear to be opposed to the murder of cute, fuzzy baby terns,
            so maybe some pressure right now could result in some short-term gains.
            (2) The average American is absolutely 100% unaware of the
            Migratory Bird Treaty Act that protects our native bird species (and
            their parts, eggs, nests, etc.) from "take". I deal with the public all
            the time about such matters and it is astounding what people don't know.
            This means that agencies (and all of us) need to take a proactive,
            protective stance when sensitive wildlife issues arise. I don't know
            the details of the Long Beach case, but I find it fully believable that
            the barge caretakers had no clue that the terns "infesting" their barges
            had any legal protection. That's no excuse for violating the law, of
            course, but only a sea-change in thinking (i.e. operating on the
            assumption that all birds are protected from harm) will prevent future
            such occurrences. It is sad, but undoubtedly a consequence of (1)
            above, that the agencies knew about this colony and couldn't protect it,
            and allowed a second barge's nesting effort to be destroyed even as the
            issue was in the public spotlight after the first barge was ransacked.

            One other part to my tirade... Elegant and Caspian Terns nested nearly
            every year since the late 1990s in large numbers (along with small
            numbers of Royal Terns and Black Skimmers) on the fill area at Pier 400
            in Los Angeles Harbor, just a few miles from the Long Beach nesting
            site. Port construction proceeded (as planned) to the point that only a
            much smaller area of Pier 400 was available to colonial waterbirds.
            Because Least Terns are listed as Endangered and the other species are
            not so listed, the decision was made this year to allow ONLY Least Terns
            to nest in the area. Hence, we saw the movement of the Elegants and
            Caspians to what turns out to have been a disastrous alternative site.
            Once again, we are incapable of managing for a diversity of native
            species, proceeding instead with the tunnel-vision of protecting only
            "listed" species. It seems perfectly reasonable that port expansion
            planning could have accommodating several (not just one) tern species,
            but that didn't happen.

            Extensive efforts are being made to raise and ultimately release the few
            dozen young terns recovered alive. This is laudable, but a cursory
            knowledge of tern biology (with juveniles being fed by adults for weeks
            or even months post-fledging, and the specialized foraging techniques
            requiring much parental tutelage) suggests that the efforts are likely
            to have little success. All released birds will be banded, so this will
            be a good opportunity to monitor the efficacy of such rehabilitation
            efforts.

            Here's hoping that birders, wildlife agencies, and those who use the
            harbor areas of Long Beach and Los Angeles can find a way to protect
            these terns in the future.

            KLG

            Kimball L. Garrett
            Ornithology Collections Manager
            900 Exposition Blvd.
            Los Angeles CA 90007
            (213) 763-3368
            (213) 746-2999 FAX
            kgarrett@...

            Behalf
            > Of Luke Cole
            > Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 8:55 AM
            > To: Ed Stonick; CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Tern Colony Disaster
            >
            > This seems like an excellent opportunity for criminal prosecution
            under
            > state and federal endangered species laws. We need to put pressure on
            the
            > local District Attorneys and U.S. Attorneys to have some prosecution
            --
            > outrageous!
            >
            > Luke
          • Lidia Seebeck
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
              *Putting down my binocs for a moment to put on my political hat*

              If there is one thing I have learned in my six years of being politically
              active, is that most incumbent politicians are deathly scared of their
              little fiefdom being upset by some issue or force, either from within their
              Party or otherwise, causing a defeat. All the recent attempts at
              gerrymandering point to this phenomenon. If birders want to remedy this
              situation, letters to those officials up for re-election this year could
              work wonders. If officials seem insensitive, then publicizing their

              It's probably wise to look at the issue as one of responsibility rather than
              focusing on the birds. If the letters are perceived as being from a fringe
              of animal welfare types, they may not get as much response as if the letters
              point to the barge owner's responsibility in knowing laws that affect his
              boat operation such as the MBTA. For that matter, if people actually
              perceived one of their responsibilities as being to protect ecological
              diversity, this would be a different society!

              Lidia Seebeck

              Pachappa Hill, Riverside CA

              _____

              kgarrett@nhm. <mailto:kgarrett%40nhm.org> org