RFI: Birding Lake Tahoe in early Aug?

  • Chad Witko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2006
      Greetings,

      In just over 1 month (August 8th/9th), I will be
      visiting the Lake Tahoe region very briefly as part of
      my 2 week cross-country trip from CA to NY. I will be
      visiting the area with a close friend, who, like me,
      is an avid birder. Our stay in the area will last only
      about 1.5 days, but I would like to make the most of
      it, especially with the birds.

      With that said, I was curious if anyone had any
      suggestions for getting the most out of the area, in
      particular, what places one could visit to not only
      pick up the regularly occurring species (White-headed
      Woodpecker, Mountain Chickadee, warblers, etc.) in
      addition to any 'specialty' birds that we both could
      enjoy?

      I have included a list of some target species (below),
      that I am personally hoping to come across. If anyone
      has any additional information on where one could find
      these species around the Lake Tahoe region, please
      respond to me off list. The help is greatly
      appreciated.

      Target Species:
      Blue(Sooty)Grouse
      Mountain Quail