WISA: Yuba Pass Birds/Nearby "Sierra Valley"/Sierraville Birds

  • edelstein1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 8:11 AM
      Tardy post.....6/30/06.....Yuba Pass/Sierraville Area Birds

      With Phil Gordon and his equally proficient spouse, Pat, as guides,
      our Marin-Ohlone Audubon Group enjoyed seeing last weekend birds
      herewith below at the XX.....For speed readers and grazers by eye, the
      most signicant below are #1 and #2........I stayed longer and added my
      own sightings/detections at the YY area, below:

      XX
      YUBA PASS campground area
      {and within 1 mile each way down the hill in both directions on Hwy 49
      (i.e., I arrived early before the group and romped around the forest
      haphazardly within 1 mile of the road)}:

      #1: WILLIAM.'S SAPSUCKER

      #2: SWAINSON'S THRUSH (which, according to Martin Meyers, has been
      absent in some recent years from the Yuba Pass area, an observation
      that I, too, agree with, given I had not heard this sp. at Yuba during
      June/July since 2001............yet this sp. has more historical
      sightings here in the past........Will Richardson may have more
      updated info?)

      The rest are nice observations, but more usual suspects IN YUBA PASS
      CAMPGROUND AREA:

      - WOOD-WARBLER SPP: WILSON'S, HERMIT, AUDUBON'S YELLOW-RUMPED

      - GOLDEN-CROWNED KING.

      - HERMIT THRUSH

      - WESTERN TANAGER

      - WARBLING VIREO

      Our Group in the Sierraville/Valley Area/Mtn Quail Rd. Area:

      - GRAY FLYCATCHER

      - GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE

      - TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE

      - BREWER'S SPARROW

      - VESPER SPARROW

      - SWAINSON'S HAWK

      Me? After The Fun With Group:

      Heriot Lane/Sierraville/MARBLE HOTS SPRINGS RD. Area

      - WILSON'S PHAL.
      - WILLET
      - WILSON'S SNIPE
      - VIRGINIA RAIL
      - SORA
      - YELLOW-HEAD BLACKBIRD (AND BABY CUTIES!)
      - WHITE-FACED IBIS (BREEDING PLUMAGE, OF COURSE, SO EZ TO SEE THE
      WHITE-FACE, UNLIKE SOME OTHER TIMES OF THE YEAR)

      Happy spring.........Daniel Edelstein, Novato, CA

      http://home.earthlink.net/~edelstein