Break-Up of Old World Warblers

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      This is of only tangential interest to most readers of these discussion
      groups, but for those among you interested in systematics or taxonomy on
      a world scale, the Break-Up of the Old World Warblers ["Syvliidae"] has
      begun this year with the publication of Alstrom et al. (2006) and
      Jonsson & Fjeldsa (2006). For world birders this has major implications
      about bird families. It even applies (barely) to California birders: the
      "Old World Warblers" that have reached California actually belong to two
      different families: the Phylloscopidae (Dusky Warbler, Arctic Warbler)
      and the Megaluridae (Lanceolated Warbler). If you have any interest in
      this, please see a three-page web discussion that has just been posted,
      beginning at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/sylvid-intro.html

      and a rather new look at the Bird Families of the World at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/list.html

      More details of other updates are at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/new.html

      Don Roberson
      "I'm not a ornithologist, but I play one on the internet" ; - )