RE: [CALBIRDS] Lassen birding highlights, and a serendipitous side-trip

  • Ali Sheehey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2006
      >And what's up with the yellow, rather than red, head feathers on this bird?
      Obviously they are used to signal. Are the birds red color-blind?
      >What advantage is confered by using yellow as a signal rather than red? Has
      anyone looked at this?

      I haven't really researched this but I suspect the yellow is advantageous
      due to the birds preferred use of burnt lodgepole pine. The red would not be
      visible against the deep black but the yellow is.

      Ali

      Alison Sheehey
      P.O. Box 153
      Weldon, CA 93283