Oldsquaw or Long-tailed Duck

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2001
      I know that the A.O.U. was suppose to look into changing the name of the
      Oldsquaw to Long-tailed Duck, but I heard it was not accepted, and I see
      people continuing to call it Long-tailed. So what's the scoop? What was the
      decision of the A.O.U.

      Douglas Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...

      The Birds & Butterflies of San Diego County- http://sdbirds.basiclink.com
    • Mark W. Eaton
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2001
        Douglas Aguillard wrote:

        > I know that the A.O.U. was suppose to look into changing the name of the
        > Oldsquaw to Long-tailed Duck, but I heard it was not accepted, and I see
        > people continuing to call it Long-tailed. So what's the scoop? What was the
        > decision of the A.O.U.

        Clangula hyemalis is listed as having the common name Long-tailed Duck on
        the AOU checklist posted on their web site at:

        http://www.aou.org/aou/birdlist.pdf

        Mark

        --
        Mark Eaton
        mailto:mweaton@...

        "Montepulciano, the grape, is cultivated widely in Italy, mostly in the
        east from the central Marches region south through Abruzzi to
        Apulia. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is the red wine made from the
        montepulciano grape in Abruzzi, which the Italians call Abruzzo."
        ERIC ASIMOV