[SFBirds] RFI Half Moon Bay

  • tiffymm@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2006
      Hello birders,

      We will be in Half Moon Bay this weekend for a wedding and would apprciate any tips on good Birdwatching spots.

      Thanks,
      Tiffany Erickson
      Windsor, CA

    • Chuq Von Rospach
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2006
        On Jun 15, 2006, at 3:27 PM, tiffymm@... wrote:

        > We will be in Half Moon Bay this weekend for a wedding and would
        > apprciate any tips on good Birdwatching spots.

        Starting to the north up 1, in Moss Beach is the Fitzgerald Marine
        Reserve (watch for the signs, it's easy to miss).
        http://www.montereybay.noaa.gov/visitor/access/fitz.html
        (some photos from my last trip here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/
        chuqui/sets/72157594154628694/)

        there two weeks ago, with pelicans, a black oystercatcher, a common
        loon, gulls. Also nice tide pools at low tide, and when I was there,
        seals.

        in Half moon bay is Venice Beach, a great place for gulls.

        To the south, you have options going south as far as you want to try:
        ano nuevo: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=523
        pescadero state beach (and marsh): http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=522
        pigeon point lighthouse (as a place for a sea watch): http://
        www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=533
        elkhorn slough: http://www.elkhornslough.org/

        you can go all the way down into santa cruz and to monterey if you
        really want to. the road north dies at Montara for now. Personally,
        I'd put Fitzgerald first, if the weather's clear, pigeon point, and
        either pescadero or elkhorn depending on how much you want to wander.
        Probably pescadero, and come back for a second visit later.

        --
        Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
        chuqui@... -- http://chuqui.typepad.com/

        Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?