Re: [CALBIRDS] Gray vireo question

  • lbenner@charter.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
      Greetings everyone,

      In addition to Carruthers Canyon, Keystone Canyon on the northern side of the New York Mountains is also a good place for finding Grey Vireo, particularly at this time of year. The north side of Clark Mountain is also good. The birds that I've heard and/or seen were in pinyon-juniper habitat, sometimes extending down into the upper boundary with Joshua trees.

      To get into Carruthers, Keystone, and Clark Mountain it really helps to have a high clearance vehicle with four-wheel drive and sturdy tires. I went up to Clark Mountain once in my Saturn, but _only_ once...

      Lance Benner
      Altadena, CA