Re: [CALBIRDS] Gray vireo question

  • Michael Evans
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
      Gray Vireos are easy to find in San Diego, along Kitchen Creek Road,
      above the Cibbets Flat Forest Service Campground (north of I-8), as
      noted in this snip from Kris Olson's posting on SD Birds, May 6:

      I spent the morning and afternoon of May 6 exploring Kitchen Creek
      and the
      Laguna Mountains. I got to Kitchen Creek about 7:45 am and after
      searching
      around the Pacific Crest trail parking area for a while, finally
      uncovered a
      GRAY VIREO, my target bird (thanks to April 12 post by Don Roberson
      and Rita
      Carratello). MOUNTAIN QUAIL were calling all over for most of the
      morning
      (I left Kitchen Creek at 10:30am, turning around at Cibbets Flat
      campground
      which had many RV generators going, and then headed back down and up the
      Sunrise Highway.)

      Phil Unitt, in Birds of San Diego County (1984) and the San Diego
      County Bird Atlas (2004) describes the species thoroughly at this and
      other locations.

      Mike Evans
      SDFO Rare Bird Coordinator

      On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Jim Greaves wrote:

      Where is a GOOD place to see Gray Vireo in California, where one is
      relatively sure of seeing one, or more? I would really like to
      finally see all the "gray" vireos [Least Bell's, Plumbeus, Gray]
      before I get too old to see gray things in the shadows [no apology to
      Art Bell] - Thanks! - Jim Greaves, Santa Barbara

      .

    • lbenner@charter.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
        Greetings everyone,

        In addition to Carruthers Canyon, Keystone Canyon on the northern side of the New York Mountains is also a good place for finding Grey Vireo, particularly at this time of year. The north side of Clark Mountain is also good. The birds that I've heard and/or seen were in pinyon-juniper habitat, sometimes extending down into the upper boundary with Joshua trees.

        To get into Carruthers, Keystone, and Clark Mountain it really helps to have a high clearance vehicle with four-wheel drive and sturdy tires. I went up to Clark Mountain once in my Saturn, but _only_ once...

        Lance Benner
        Altadena, CA