Re: [CALBIRDS] Bird Calls

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hi, Jamie!

      In a message dated 6/8/2006 6:51:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      birding_jamie@... writes:

      Are there many birds out there that would likely be in neighbor-hood
      trees that sound like a Red-tailed Hawk? How likely is it that this
      IS a Hawk?

      Redtails are an expected suburban bird in many parts, so I have no doubts
      that what you saw.

      You mentioned your website but you don't have a link up! Let's see it! :-)

      Take care, and good birding!

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
        Jamie,

        Red-tailed Hawks are found throughout California - and a golf
        course would provide not only excellent hunting grounds, but excellent
        trees for cover, roosting and nesting.

        I just checked the map for Groveland and see that it is near the
        Sierra-Nevada mountains - which is PRIME habitat for Red-tailed Hawks
        - but if Red-tails are nesting in NYC and SF, I am sure they have
        adapted enough to nest near a golf course in or near the Sierra
        Nevada's of California. .

        Red-tailed Hawks are found pretty much throughout the North
        American continent, on up into Canada and down into Mexico.

        I am not sure why you would think there would be no Red-tailed
        Hawks in your area. . .??

        Perhaps you are confusing the RTH with some other species of hawk
        that is by far less common in California?

        Feather Forestwalker, Fort Bragg, CA