Re: [CALBIRDS] Gray vireo question

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hi Jim

      On a recent trip to the East Mojave, we camped out at Carruthers
      Canyon and in our campsite we had a Gray Vireo. This is a little
      closer than the Texas Hill Country! Overall, I think you have a
      reasonable chance of GRVI by visiting this desert area in the spring
      time.

      Happy Birding!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA
    • Michael Evans
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
        Gray Vireos are easy to find in San Diego, along Kitchen Creek Road,
        above the Cibbets Flat Forest Service Campground (north of I-8), as
        noted in this snip from Kris Olson's posting on SD Birds, May 6:

        I spent the morning and afternoon of May 6 exploring Kitchen Creek
        and the
        Laguna Mountains. I got to Kitchen Creek about 7:45 am and after
        searching
        around the Pacific Crest trail parking area for a while, finally
        uncovered a
        GRAY VIREO, my target bird (thanks to April 12 post by Don Roberson
        and Rita
        Carratello). MOUNTAIN QUAIL were calling all over for most of the
        morning
        (I left Kitchen Creek at 10:30am, turning around at Cibbets Flat
        campground
        which had many RV generators going, and then headed back down and up the
        Sunrise Highway.)

        Phil Unitt, in Birds of San Diego County (1984) and the San Diego
        County Bird Atlas (2004) describes the species thoroughly at this and
        other locations.

        Mike Evans
        SDFO Rare Bird Coordinator

        On Jun 8, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Jim Greaves wrote:

        Where is a GOOD place to see Gray Vireo in California, where one is
        relatively sure of seeing one, or more? I would really like to
        finally see all the "gray" vireos [Least Bell's, Plumbeus, Gray]
        before I get too old to see gray things in the shadows [no apology to
        Art Bell] - Thanks! - Jim Greaves, Santa Barbara

        .

      • lbenner@charter.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
          Greetings everyone,

          In addition to Carruthers Canyon, Keystone Canyon on the northern side of the New York Mountains is also a good place for finding Grey Vireo, particularly at this time of year. The north side of Clark Mountain is also good. The birds that I've heard and/or seen were in pinyon-juniper habitat, sometimes extending down into the upper boundary with Joshua trees.

          To get into Carruthers, Keystone, and Clark Mountain it really helps to have a high clearance vehicle with four-wheel drive and sturdy tires. I went up to Clark Mountain once in my Saturn, but _only_ once...

          Lance Benner
          Altadena, CA