Long-tailed Duck

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
      Hi All,

      The Long-tailed Duck continues at the Lodi Sewage Ponds. He was first seen
      Friday afternoon, then again by multiple observers Saturday and Sunday
      morning, and late this afternoon (Monday).

      He spends a lot of time underwater, and has been missed at certain times of
      the day (so far mostly between 11 am and 2 or 3 in the afternoon). But he
      is such a stunning drake, he is worth the effort!

      Directions: I-5, take the Hwy 12 exit in Lodi, go south on Thornton Rd. for
      1.3 miles, turn right at the I-5 Frontage Road at the City of Lodi White
      Slough sign (small), proceed under the freeway and turn left at the sign for
      the water treatment/power generation plant. It's open from 7:30-3:30, but
      on weekdays the gate is usually open later to accommodate the office
      workers.

      Cheri Pillsbury
      Stockton, San Joaquin Co.
    • Bruce Deuel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
        In case there is still any doubt that the name change of this species is official, it has been published in the Auk, Volume 117 (3): 849 (July 2000). I quote: "Change English name of Clangula hyemalis from Oldsquaw to Long-tailed Duck, to conform with English usage in other parts of the world."
        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Red Bluff