Gray vireo question

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
      Where is a GOOD place to see Gray Vireo in California, where one is
      relatively sure of seeing one, or more? I would really like to
      finally see all the "gray" vireos [Least Bell's, Plumbeus, Gray]
      before I get too old to see gray things in the shadows [no apology to
      Art Bell] - Thanks! - Jim Greaves, Santa Barbara
    • Ed Stonick
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi Jim!

        I would like to know this as well. Would you be so kind as to forward any
        good responses you receive? Thanks!

        We were very fortunate on a recent trip to the Texas hill country. While
        looking for Black-capped Vireos at Kickapoo Caverns State Park, we ran into
        a pair of Grays and got beautiful views. (We got the Black-caps, too! In
        both cases, we stopped after hearing a singing Scott's Oriole.)

        Regards,

        Ed

        Ed Stonick

        Pasadena, CA

        edstonick@... <mailto:stonicks@...>

      • Nick & Mary Freeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
          Hi Jim

          On a recent trip to the East Mojave, we camped out at Carruthers
          Canyon and in our campsite we had a Gray Vireo. This is a little
          closer than the Texas Hill Country! Overall, I think you have a
          reasonable chance of GRVI by visiting this desert area in the spring
          time.

          Happy Birding!

          Mary Freeman
          Glendale, CA
        • Michael Evans
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
            Gray Vireos are easy to find in San Diego, along Kitchen Creek Road,
            above the Cibbets Flat Forest Service Campground (north of I-8), as
            noted in this snip from Kris Olson's posting on SD Birds, May 6:

            I spent the morning and afternoon of May 6 exploring Kitchen Creek
            and the
            Laguna Mountains. I got to Kitchen Creek about 7:45 am and after
            searching
            around the Pacific Crest trail parking area for a while, finally
            uncovered a
            GRAY VIREO, my target bird (thanks to April 12 post by Don Roberson
            and Rita
            Carratello). MOUNTAIN QUAIL were calling all over for most of the
            morning
            (I left Kitchen Creek at 10:30am, turning around at Cibbets Flat
            campground
            which had many RV generators going, and then headed back down and up the
            Sunrise Highway.)

            Phil Unitt, in Birds of San Diego County (1984) and the San Diego
            County Bird Atlas (2004) describes the species thoroughly at this and
            other locations.

            Mike Evans
            SDFO Rare Bird Coordinator

            .

          • lbenner@charter.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
              Greetings everyone,

              In addition to Carruthers Canyon, Keystone Canyon on the northern side of the New York Mountains is also a good place for finding Grey Vireo, particularly at this time of year. The north side of Clark Mountain is also good. The birds that I've heard and/or seen were in pinyon-juniper habitat, sometimes extending down into the upper boundary with Joshua trees.

              To get into Carruthers, Keystone, and Clark Mountain it really helps to have a high clearance vehicle with four-wheel drive and sturdy tires. I went up to Clark Mountain once in my Saturn, but _only_ once...

              Lance Benner
              Altadena, CA