Bird Calls

  • birding_jamie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2006
      I am really interested in the calls of birds. I think it is
      fantastic that most have their OWN call. How can every single
      species have a different call? Well I just think it is truly amazing.

      Everyday I record audio/video of calls for specific birds. I have
      sort of an obsession with recording and matching the calls with the
      photos that I take of the species I see. I post everything I find on
      my website for others to hear and see as well.

      Starting Wednesday evening I kept hearing the call of what I swore
      was a Red-tailed hawk. I listened to calls from the Cornell Lab
      website and compared them to what I had recorded. They
      sound "almost" identical. I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that there
      is a Red-tailed hawk in my neighbor-hood. I live right by the golf
      course in Groveland. Today I actually caught a glimpse of the bird
      flying out of some trees. Not a good enough glimpse to ID the bird
      though. At first the calls started out farther away but just today
      the calls have gotten close enough to actually record.

      Are there many birds out there that would likely be in neighbor-hood
      trees that sound like a Red-tailed Hawk? How likely is it that this
      IS a Hawk?

      Jamie Mullin
      GROVELAND, CA
    • MiriamEagl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
        Hi, Jamie!

        In a message dated 6/8/2006 6:51:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        birding_jamie@... writes:

        Are there many birds out there that would likely be in neighbor-hood
        trees that sound like a Red-tailed Hawk? How likely is it that this
        IS a Hawk?

        Redtails are an expected suburban bird in many parts, so I have no doubts
        that what you saw.

        You mentioned your website but you don't have a link up! Let's see it! :-)

        Take care, and good birding!

        Mary Beth Stowe
        San Diego, CA
        MiriamEagl@...
        _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
          Jamie,

          Red-tailed Hawks are found throughout California - and a golf
          course would provide not only excellent hunting grounds, but excellent
          trees for cover, roosting and nesting.

          I just checked the map for Groveland and see that it is near the
          Sierra-Nevada mountains - which is PRIME habitat for Red-tailed Hawks
          - but if Red-tails are nesting in NYC and SF, I am sure they have
          adapted enough to nest near a golf course in or near the Sierra
          Nevada's of California. .

          Red-tailed Hawks are found pretty much throughout the North
          American continent, on up into Canada and down into Mexico.

          I am not sure why you would think there would be no Red-tailed
          Hawks in your area. . .??

          Perhaps you are confusing the RTH with some other species of hawk
          that is by far less common in California?

          Feather Forestwalker, Fort Bragg, CA