Black Swift question

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
      Hi Birders,

      In your experience, is Black Swift the only large swift in California (excluding the 2 small Chaeturae) that fans its tail?

      In other words, have you ever seen White-throated Swifts exhibiting this behavior?

      I recently observed a pair of Black Swifts that were flying very close (it was a dark, gloomy day) overhead, and watched this behavior, and got to see other field marks positively identifying them as Blacks, and not White-throated Swifts. Today I had a pair of swifts (not a flock) way the heck off in the distance, and one of the birds was doing the Black Swift tail-flaring thing, so I said "Oooh, Black Swifts!", but I would like to know more i.e. for sure about this beahvior i.e. if White-throated Swifts flat-out do not flair their tails.

      Tom

      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)

      thomas.miko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
      Claremont, CA 91711
      U.S.A.
      34.109167 N, 117.718293 W

      home: (909) 445-1456
      cell: (626) 390-1935
      work: (323) 226-7855

      FRS radio channel 11 code 22

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary
      "The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."
      -Oscar Wilde
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
        Thomas,

        There are only two other "large swifts" in California (Black and White-collared), both of which routinely fan their tails. As you know, White-throateds usually carry the tail fairly tightly closed (so it appears as a double point), but when maneuvering they frequently fan the tail. In White-throated the tail is fairly deeply forked, so the fanned tail looks more or less squared. We won't worry about White-collared (which is shaped, more or less, like an outsized Black Swift).

        So identifying a "large" swift solely on the basis of tail fanning is dangerous. I would assume that a candidate Black Swift would be obvious based on the languid flight, very infrequent flapping, angle of the wings at the wrist joint, etc. In any case "way the heck off in the distance" is always an uncomfortable thing to read in any description.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles CA 90007
        (213) 763-3368
        (213) 746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...

      • Thomas Miko
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
          Thanks Kimball.
          White-collared in California?
          When did THAT happen?
          Yes, that's exactly why I asked: If you can cheat and identify based on something, hey that's great, but if the idea i.e. field mark is false, I want to know that it's false, and dump it.
          So, the misleading thing then is that Sibley (any others?) ONLY mention Black Swift as doing this. I wish they had illustration of both Black Swift and White-throated with their tails fanned.
          Yes, the other time when I said "Black Swift" the birds were close overhead and cooperative, as I mentioned in my post. I did not at all merely rely on tail-fanning.
          I need to look at that book on swifts.
          Tom

        • Joseph Devine
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
            I'm relatively new to birding (3 yrs) & just started w/ the photography thing about a year ago. I do, however, have a suitable photo of a White-throated Swift w/ a full tail fan, taken over Coyote Hills in Fremont, Ca. Hope it gives you the view you desire of this behavior. BTW - the WT did this when he was "braking" quickly while continuing to fly in a relatively straight line.

            http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/mojoedevine/Passerines/Swallow-like%20Birds/WTSwift5.jpg

            Joe Devine
            Modesto, Ca

          • debbie viess
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2006
              It is with great sadness that I announce the
              death of Dr. Howard Cogswell. He was a rigorous
              scientist, and a fine human being.

              He will be sorely missed.

              Debbie Viess
              Oakland, CA