[Admin] Yahoo changes, list rules, vacation settings

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      Hi CalBirders,

      Yahoo Groups has instituted a new format for email messages. We've
      already received some emails telling us how much you dislike the new
      email format. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "what new email format?" Well,
      the only way you will see the new Yahoo format is if you were
      previously set to receive the emails from the group in HTML format.
      There is absolutely no reason to do this, and now even more reasons
      not to. To revert to simple emails, go to the Calbirds website and
      click on the Edit Membership link. A ways down the page you will see
      the following:

      Message Preference

      Select a display format for any email messages you may receive: (See samples)
      @ Fully Featured New & Improved! O Traditional

      Where the @ is a selected radio button and the O is an unselected
      radio button. Click on the Traditional radio button to remove the new
      formatting.

      We are constantly rejecting posts to the list because they do not
      conform to list rules. If you are about to post a message to the list
      and are a first-time poster or have not posted in a long time, please
      reread the list rules, easily found at the top of the Calbirds home
      page, before posting. This will speed your message to the group. The
      two most frequent reasons we reject a post are incomplete signatures
      (missing the poster's last name and/or city) and off topic posts that
      are either about birds far enough outside California that few, if
      any, list members would chase them, or of so local a nature that they
      belong on one of the regional or county lists.

      We are now coming into a part of the year when many members go on
      vacation. Before you go, if you are not going to check your email
      while you're away, please set your email preference to Web Only. Do
      not configure your email to send an "Out of Office" reply. If you do,
      we will set you to Web Only. If you leave your preference on
      Individual Emails and your mailbox fills up, your account will end up
      bouncing and we may or may not catch that. If we do, we will send a
      Reactivation Request, but it will bounce too.

      Good birding,
      Steve Sosensky
      Toluca Lake, CA 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      and soon
      Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 33.56493 N, 117.72188 W
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
      email to these addresses: