Directions to Galileo Hills and the Upland Sandpiper

  • Jim Lomax
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
      Birders,

      I was asked to provide directions to Galileo Hills and the Upland Sandpiper. Sorry for not thinking of this. Being from up "north", I had assumed everyone down there knew where it was.

      Galileo Hills is a resort (private but open to polite, courteous, quiet, well-behaved birders who take care not to get in the way or trample anything), in Kern County north of Antelope Valley. Drive north on Hwy 14 thru Mojave a few miles and turn left (posted "California City") on California City Blvd.

      Drive thru California City to the eastern end just past the golf course and Central Park then turn left (north) on Randsburg Mojave Road (out of town it becomes Twenty Mule Team Parkway). Follow this road which becomes two lanes and goes out of town in a north easterly direction. You will see Silver Saddle signs along the way. About 10 miles or so later, there is a sign saying "slow down for the turn" and another sign saying Galileo Hills. Turn left (north) here. Within a mile you will see another sign saying Galileo Hills and directing you to turn right (east). Within another mile you will see the resort. The soccer field is on the southeastern end of the resort. The posted speed is 15 mph. The Upland Sandpiper was there on the soccer field and across the street a little northeast of the soccer field in the grass by a large pond/lake with three gazebos. If your an optimist, you may wait until a convenient time to go.

      Jim Lomax
      Solitary Birder
      from No Particular Place

    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2006
        CalBirders,

        There is a mistake in these directions. The turn from Route 14 onto
        California City Blvd. is a right turn, not a left.

        At 07:22 PM 2006-06-06, Jim Lomax wrote:
        >Galileo Hills is a resort (private but open to polite, courteous,
        >quiet, well-behaved birders who take care not to get in the way or
        >trample anything), in Kern County north of Antelope Valley. Drive
        >north on Hwy 14 thru Mojave a few miles and turn left (posted
        >"California City") on California City Blvd.
        >
        >Drive thru California City to the eastern end just past the golf
        >course and Central Park then turn left (north) on Randsburg Mojave
        >Road (out of town it becomes Twenty Mule Team Parkway). Follow this
        >road which becomes two lanes and goes out of town in a north
        >easterly direction. You will see Silver Saddle signs along the way.
        >About 10 miles or so later, there is a sign saying "slow down for
        >the turn" and another sign saying Galileo Hills. Turn left (north)
        >here. Within a mile you will see another sign saying Galileo Hills
        >and directing you to turn right (east). Within another mile you will
        >see the resort. The soccer field is on the southeastern end of the
        >resort. The posted speed is 15 mph. The Upland Sandpiper was there
        >on the soccer field and across the street a little northeast of the
        >soccer field in the grass by a large pond/lake with three gazebos.
        >If your an optimist, you may wait until a convenient time to go.

        Good birding,

        Steve Sosensky,
        SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
        Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
        and soon
        Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56493 N, 117.72188 W