Re: WFO Meeting, Boulder, CO, 21-24 Sept - Call for Papers

  • Gjon_Hazard@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
      Sorry for the repeat. I was informed that some folks had difficulty
      reading the first version of this...

      ---

      I'm forwarding this announcement for Jay. Hope to see you all in Colorado!

      Cheers,
      -Gjon Hazard

      WFO Director

      ---

      Western Field Ornithologists (WFO) is now accepting abstracts for the
      scientific paper sessions at this year’s meeting, to be held in Boulder,
      Colorado, 21 to 24 September 2006.

      See the formal Call for Papers pasted in below (which can also be
      downloaded from the WFO website, http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/).

      WFO meetings are THE forum where professional ornithologists, amateur field
      ornithologists, and active birders mingle, learn from one another, and help
      advance our collective knowledge and appreciation of the avifauna of
      western North America.

      This year’s WFO meeting will feature the usual terrific lineup of field
      trips, workshops, scientific paper sessions, and expert panels … plus great
      camaraderie, beautiful scenery, and superb birding. If you haven’t
      attended a WFO meeting before, I urge you to give it a try!

      Look for full conference information soon on the WFO website
      (http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/). In the meantime, anyone interested in
      presenting research results in our paper sessions, see the information
      below, and be in touch with me soon.

      I look forward to seeing you in Boulder,

      Jay Withgott, WFO Board
      Portland, OR
      withgott@...

      ---

      Call for Papers
      Western Field Ornithologists -- 31st Annual Meeting

      21 to 24 September 2006
      Boulder Colorado

      Abstracts are now being accepted for presentations at the 31st annual
      meeting of Western Field Ornithologists, to be held 21 to 24 September 2006
      in Boulder, Colorado.

      Oral presentations should reflect original research or summarize existing
      unpublished information, and should be presented in a manner that will be
      of interest to professional and serious amateur field ornithologists.
      Papers presented at other conferences will be considered, provided that the
      material has not already been published in full manuscript form.

      Talks relating to the following themes are solicited:

      > Status, distribution, migration, and population dynamics of birds
      > Systematics and biogeography of birds
      > Ecology, behavior, and evolution of birds
      > New information on avian field identification problems
      > Science-based conservation and management of birds
      > Techniques for field study of birds, including censusing,
      monitoring, and other methods. Results of studies applying such techniques.

      Research described should apply to birds of the WFO region: western North
      America (from Alaska through Mexico, and the Great Plains to the Pacific
      coast) and the eastern Pacific Ocean.

      All talks should identify study objectives, describe methods and data
      analysis, present results, discuss the significance of the research, and
      propose future research directions.

      We expect to allot 15 minutes per oral presentation, including 3 minutes
      for questions and discussion. Dialogue between presenters and audience is
      a hallmark of WFO meetings.

      An abstract of your presentation should be submitted electronically to Jay
      Withgott <withgott@...>. All queries and submissions must be via
      e-mail. All abstracts must be received by 30 June 2005 and should be
      submitted in exactly the following format:

      > YOUR LAST NAME, YOUR FIRST NAME, CO-AUTHOR NAMES. Your affiliation
      and/or sponsoring organization(s), complete mailing address, e-mail
      address. Title of your talk. Brief (300-word maximum) summary of the
      objectives, methods, results, significance, and generality of your study.

      We look forward to seeing you in Boulder!

      ---

      ====================================
      Gjon C. Hazard
      Sr. Fish and Wildlife Biologist
      Carlsbad Fish and Wildlife Office
      6010 Hidden Valley Road
      Carlsbad, CA 92011 USA
      Voice: 760/431-9440x287
      FAX: 760/918-0638
      E-mail: Gjon_Hazard@...
      http://carlsbad.fws.gov/
      A post from Gjon Hazard, not an official post of the USFWS.