September Long Range Pelagic

  • Don DesJardin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
      2006 September Long Range Pelagic
      "Going Out Deep in Southern California" is now a reality, and has
      been for the last four years aboard the 95' Searcher, based in San
      Diego. Our forth fall multi-day pelagic birding trip will be leaving
      San Diego, California on Monday 4 September at noon, and returning on
      Friday the 8th at around 8:00am. These fall trips have been, by far,
      the most popular Searcher trips, and has easily filled for the last 3
      years. This year is no exception, with many onboard even before this
      announcement was even posted.

      Early September is when water temperatures peak in Southern
      California, bringing up tuna and dorado from Baja California along
      with accompanying birds. Our target species for this trip include
      Cook's Petrel, Least Storm Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, Red-tailed
      Tropicbird, Xantus' Murrelet (hypoleucus form), and Craveri's
      Murrelet. We'll have three nights when we can lay out fish oil
      slicks, if we are on sea anchor, several hours before dawn to attract
      birds. We'll also be on the lookout for sharp temperature breaks and
      upwelling where birds tend to congregate.

      The fall of 2005 was a very strange year with very warm water
      extending much further north than should be expected for that time of
      year. Along with this warm water were recorded 13 confirmed Cook's
      well seen by all aboard. Keep in mind, that even if this warm water
      event repeats, there is still no guarantee that Cook's are going to
      be sighted on this trip.

      Although the primary focus will be on finding birds, a variety of
      marine mammals and marine life may also be encountered. Species
      observed on past trips included Blue Whale, Fin Whale, Humpback
      Whale, Sperm Whale, Baird's Beaked Whale, Orca, Short-beaked Common
      Dolphin, Long-beaked Common Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin, Pacific White-
      sided Dolphin, Northern Right-whale Dolphin, Risso's Dolphin,
      Northern Elephant Seal, Harbor Seal, California Sea Lion, Guadalupe
      Fur Seal, giant Humbolt Squid, Bluefin Tuna and Albacore. With the
      amount of time we will have at sea, every effort will be made to give
      everyone a total marine experience that will be remembered for a very
      long time.

      The cost is $850, which includes all food, snacks, beverages, but
      excludes any crew gratuity. The Searcher is a comfortable live-aboard
      vessel equipped with excellent sleeping accommodations, hot showers,
      and a full galley, which would be more than glad to accommodate any
      special dietary requirement.

      I would invite you to visit the Baja Whale Offshore Birding Trips web
      site and look at the previous September trip reports, species lists,
      trip maps, and customer comments. Tentative leaders will be Todd
      McGrath, Don DesJardin, and another guest leader/s to be announced.

      If you have additional questions or need more detailed information,
      please contact me directly.

      Contact & Reservation Information:

      Searcher Natural History Tours
      2838 Garrison Street