eBird update and request

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      Birders

      I invite you to take a look at eBird (www.ebird.org). This online
      collaborative project between the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Audubon has
      recently been updated, and now provides birders with free access to this
      extraordinary online checklist program and database. We already have a
      great group of people working on and using eBird in California, but we need
      your help too!

      eBird is not only a warehouse of observational data, it's an online tool
      that allows you to record, retrieve, and archive your data, all while making
      your efforts available to scientists interested in using these data for bird
      conservation. New features include a more comprehensive listing capability
      found on the "My eBird" page, which includes automated listing capabilities
      down to the county level in each state. It's simple, you enter your
      observations into the database, and eBird keeps all your lists for you. Coming
      soon (late summer) will be the ability to bulk upload data from your
      personal databases and from AviSys directly to eBird.

      Geographic coverage is also expanding. We now cover all of the US, Canadaand
      Mexico, and eBird has recently been launched in Puerto Rico, the Dominican
      Republic and Haiti. Plans are in the works for collaborations in the near
      future with Cuba, Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama, as well as several other
      islands in the Caribbean. The goal is to implement eBird across the whole
      of the Western Hemisphere eventually, allowing bird monitoring at scales
      heretofore unimaginable, and allowing birders to keep comprehensive lists on
      the site.

      eBird is backed up by a group of regional experts who have created filters
      to control data quality. As these regions become more refined, and new
      filters are created, the database will be even more clean and precise. At
      minimum we have one filter working in each state/province, but in many
      states, like California, we are currently working on county-based filters.
      Flagged records are then vetted by local experts (contact me for more info).

      We now have the ability to provide online data downloads of eBird raw data
      the NAB regional coordinators in Excel format. This will give them simple
      access to the data gathered in your region in electronic form, and allow
      them to pull out interesting observations for NAB and other regional
      journals.

      As more people participate in eBird the value of the data set will increase
      exponentially. This May we recorded over 500,000 bird observations, and
      gathered over 30,000 checklists´┐Ża massive amount of data. I invite you to
      browse the web site, explore the data output available in your area through
      the "View and explore data" pages, and please enter your own observations
      into the system. If you get out birding this weekend just record the birds
      you see at each location, log in to www.ebird.org, and join the bird
      conservation revolution!

      Brian Sullivan
      Monterey, CA