Miss. Kite photo posted

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      I just posted a photo to CALBIRDS (in the Raptors Album) that Daryl Coldren
      took of the Mississippi Kite we (Daryl, Cliff Hawley and I) found at Furnace
      Creek Ranch on May 26 (note that the time on the photo is one hour earlier
      than the actual time).

      We think this bird is a sub-adult, possibly female based on the following,
      but I would appreciate input from others:

      - If you zoom in on the left side of the breast (the BIRD'S left side) you
      can just make out a few juvenile (brown and white) breast feathers (obvious in
      the field)

      - the tail does not appear to be all dark as one would expect in an adult
      (though there is no clear evidence of barring from the looks we got)

      - the slight contrast between the head and body color seems to suggest a
      female

      We did not see the bird in flight nor any part of the underwings.

      The speculation above is based on my reading of Brian Wheeler's, Raptors of
      Western North America, but I would love to be educated by others knowledgeable
      about the species.

      We found this bird just as we were finishing a pretty uneventful walk around
      the golf course. It was perched nearly right over the car! As if that wasn't
      enough, as we watched the bird, a pair of Bobolinks flew overhead at treetop
      level with the male in full song!

      Ed Pandolfino