Tricolored Blackbirds and absent vireos in the Prado Basin

  • vireos44
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2006
      A large flock (likely a thousand or more) of Tricolored Blackbirds
      descended recently upon a small marsh in the Prado Basin, Riverside
      County. An adjacent cowbird trap had no blackbirds in it on Sunday,
      but I had to release 111 Trikes from it on Monday. On Tuesday, it had
      36 birds in it, of which 3 had bands (932-23518; 932-23607; 932-
      23720). I've since reported the band numbers and blocked-off the top
      of the trap. My assumption is that the birds are from the San Jacinto
      Wildlife Area, but I haven't heard back from there. As this would be
      a perfect opportunity for additional banding, someone with access to
      official permission (ie USFWS) and permits should get in contact with
      me.

      Of concern at Prado this year is the relative paucity of 'least'
      Bell's Vireos. They arrived in the basin extraordinarily late, and
      currently show no signs of coming close to last years total of 600
      males. In fact, as only about 275 birds have been found to date, 400-
      450 is the most reasonable guess for the final tally. It is my
      understanding that other watersheds in southern California may be
      experiencing similar declines.

      On a lighter note, there's something going on with Common Poorwills
      this spring. As there was only one previous hypothetical record for
      the Prado Basin, we didn't expect to see four this spring, with most
      of the birds being found by Dharm Pellegrini.

      Jim Pike
      Huntington Beach