California Hummingbirds -- Help Needed

  • SJPeterson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      HI Calbirds,

      I've been working on a web page for wintering hummingbirds in the United
      States. This began a couple years ago as just a map showing Rufous
      Hummingbird sightings in the eastern USA in fall & winter. It's grown to
      include most other species, and will probably continue to expand from
      there... You can visit the winter maps at:
      http://www.geocities.com/trochilids

      In part, I'm mapping counties in which Costa's and Anna's Hummingbirds are
      showing up this winter. States like Idaho, Montana, Minnesota, Nebraska,
      etc., have hosted one or the other recently. And here's where you come in.
      On the Anna's and Costa's maps, I'd like to put dots at city locations where
      these birds NORMALLY occur in winter. So if you know of CURRENT sightings of
      either of these species, in their normal winter range, since December 1,
      please send me a private email with the town name and county noted. I'll add
      a dot for that town on the map.

      Now, of course I'm positive they are in San Diego, Riverside, Ventura, etc.
      But I'm not going to dot those towns until I get actual reports from you
      stating they are there this winter since December 1.

      I'm expecting the map will eventually show a mass of reports from all over
      coastal California, perhaps thinning out as one moves northward. The
      spattering effect as one moves away from the coast to the east should also
      show a neat trend. This will add to the visual effect of the "vagrant"
      individuals in Montana, Minnesota, etc.

      Finally, if you know of other species of hummingbirds present in California
      since December 1, I'd like to hear of those, too...

      Please forward this request to pertinent listservs in the state where folks
      might be able to supply information.

      I'm awaiting a flood of Costa's and Anna's emails!

      Best birding,

      --Stacy
      Stacy Jon Peterson
      4442 Sijan St. Apt. A