lag in Swainson's Thrush songs vs. calls

  • David Fix Jude Power
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2006
      My experience over 14 springs in Humboldt is also that song is not generally heard for at least a week or so after Swainson's Thrushes arrive. I wonder if many of the earlier birds are more northerly-breeding migrants, just not singing yet until they are farther north, with the local summer population filling in later..? Gosh does anyone know?

      I heard the first arrival at Prairie Creek Park 19 Apr this year, the earliest I have recorded an arrival in 33 yrs of notes in WA/OR/n.w. CA. I thought, I'll bet I don't hear another for at least a week, and it was actually not until the first of May that I heard the next one.

      An estimated 150 Marbled Murrelets yesterday on flat seas opposite Freshwater Lagoon was quite a spectacle (DFx, Jim Tietz+). Jim saw one group of 8, a concentration not often noted in May.

      David Fix
      Arcata