Swainson's Thrush song

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2006
      I've been hearing Swainson's thrushes calling for several weeks now but have yet to hear one sing. Are they singing anywhere? What's going on?

      Ken Burton
      McKinleyville

    • Dan Singer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2006
        This is actually normal behavior for Swainson's Thrush, though rather unusual behavior for songbirds in general. This phenomena may be more pronounced in the more northern reaches of its range, but I notice it every year here in San Mateo County, for example. The first evidence of their return is invariably call notes, of which there are several, and one or two weeks may elapse (and possibly more?) before birds begin singing. The Birds of North America species account has an informative section on vocalizations.

        Dan Singer
        Pacifica

        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2006
          Hi, Dan. Rusty Scauf said more or less the same thing. I never noticed such a long lag time in Marin, but maybe it's different up here in Humboldt. It may be a different subspecies according to my reference materials.

          Ken