Looked for Common Black Hawk - Found Ticks

  • Ron Storey
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2006
      If you are going to look for the Common Black Hawk out of Sebastopol be sure
      to have plenty (and I mean plenty) of "bug repellent spray" that repels
      ticks. Today, my wife and I went in search of the Common Black Hawk (of
      course we did not see it, nor the Bald Eagles reported in the area), but
      between us we have found well over a hundred ticks on our clothing and
      bodies. I know this may sound like an exaggeration to most of you, if not
      all of you, but I and my wife can count to at least a hundred and beyond.
      In fact on the way home (we live within 20 miles of the location) we stopped
      and pulled off of our clothing and the seat of our vehicle at least a dozen
      more ticks, and after we got home we found two dozen ticks. I alone, while
      there found had over sixty ticks on my clothing that I found before leaving
      the area. After we got home we found together a dozen and half ticks before
      showering, and yet another tick after showering. Even if you feel that I am
      not telling the truth, be aware that area is heavy with ticks and be
      prepared for them, and when you get home check your clothing (especially the
      seams) for ticks. Wear light clothing, both pants and jersey, so you can
      detect the ticks. As far as I know these ticks are not the types that carry
      Lime Disease, but who in the world wants to share their blood with a tick.

      We did not see the Common Black Hawk today. The walk did produce a few
      Black-headed Grosbeaks, a couple of Ash-throated Flycatchers, and a couple
      of Common Yellow-throat Warblers, not to mention several Western Tiger
      Swallowtail Butterflies.

      Ron Storey

      Petaluma, CA