Common Black Hawk returns to Sonoma County

  • Doug Shaw
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2006
      Hi All,

      I had been thinking of visiting the Laguna De Santa Rosa wondering if last
      years Common Black Hawk would return. Well, Tiffany's and Joes post prompted
      me to make a late afternoon / evening visit on Thursday.
      I watched the COMMON BLACK HAWK flying north to south along the edge of
      the laguna slightly below tree top level on the west side of Delta Pond. I
      was standing on the outside n.w. perimeter of the Delta Pond chain-link
      fence. As the hawk got close to the rookery it swooped downwards through the
      trees heading towards the more open water. This is almost the identical spot
      where I observed the bird last year, but I was a bit closer to the bird last
      year. From my experiences last year apparently this hawk prefers some
      private property at an undisclosed location more than the area adjacent to
      Delta Pond. I did not have a watch with me but the sighting was after 4PM
      and probably close to 5PM. The weedy overgrown trail around the perimeter of
      Delta Pond is in considerably better shape this year than last since some of
      the growth has been cut. Migrants were slow with only a few Black-headed
      Grosbeaks.
      Access to the Laguna is as follows: Hwy. 101 to Guerneville Rd. west to
      Willowside Road south to the bridge over Santa Rosa Creek. The trail / road
      is on the west side of the road, on the south bank.

      Good Birding,

      Doug Shaw
      Santa Rosa, CA