Odd looking dead sparrow

  • Bill Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006
      Today, while working on the American River at Watt Ave in Sacramento, I
      found a dead sparrow-like bird in one of the rotary screw traps we use to
      catch salmon fry. It was dead enough to smell but not so far gone that it
      was falling apart. It was unusual in that it was all dark brown, except for
      some white streaking on the belly and undertail. It reminded me of a fox
      sparrow but then I noticed the crown seemed to have a yellowish patch. That
      patch made me think of golden-crowned sparrow but there were no other
      markings on the bird (no stripes on the head, no wing bars, and the chest
      was rather dark). Unfortunately I didn't keep the bird (or fortunately
      judging by the smell) or get pictures. Can the pigmentation of a bird
      change if it's been dead and in the water for awhile? Is there a better
      identification for what I saw?

      --
      Bill Miller
      Usually McKinleyville, CA