Green-tailed Towhee/Swainson's Hawks (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 8:45 PM
      Hi, all!

      Did one of my burn routes this morning along the Jasper Trail, and had two
      separate GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES, one after the trail turns west, and another one
      along S22. A kettle of eight SWAINSON'S HAWKS was along San Felipe Road
      between S22 and 79. I was so jazzed over the results of getting out to the
      mountains before dawn on Saturday that I did it again this morning, and had
      several BARN OWLS along the upper end of Montezuma Grade, and one along San
      Felipe. I had time to bird all the way down to Palm Canyon Resort before sunrise,
      when I went back up to Jasper to do the survey. After that I birded the rest
      of Montezuma and San Felipe Roads back to 79. Warblers were going through
      in droves, but very few let me see what they were... One Hermit Thrush and a
      few Butterbutts were still hanging around; best "expected" bird was a
      knock-out Hermit Warbler along Montezuma, and a pair of White-tailed Kites bombed a
      Redtail in the same area.

      Complete bird list:

      White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica
      Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus
      Barn Owl Tyto alba
      Great Horned Owl Bubo virginianus
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum
      Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Verdin Auriparus flaviceps
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Nashville Warbler Vermivora ruficapilla
      Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
      Hermit Warbler Dendroica occidentalis
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla
      Western Tanager Piranga ludoviciana
      Green-tailed Towhee Pipilo chlorurus
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
      Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii

      66 SPECIES