May 21 Monterey Pelagic Trip

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 7:33 PM
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Spring is definitely here‹all around life is green and waves of migrants are
      arriving. Thinking "blue, " as in the ocean and a pelagic trip for checking
      out albatrosses and shearwaters and more. Shearwater Journeys invites you to
      join us on our Sunday, May 21 pelagic trip departing from Fishermans Wharf
      in Monterey at 7 am and returning at 3 pm.

      Spring is, perhaps, the most underated time of year for seabirds. One never
      knows what will turn up. Our 2005 May pelagic trip, for instance recorded:
      YELLOW-BILLED LOON (rare-1), PACIFIC LOON (8), COMMON LOON (3), BLACK-FOOTED
      ALBATROSS (18), LAYSAN ALBATROSS (1), PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER (50), SOOTY
      SHEARWATER (3025), BROWN PELICAN, BRANDT'S CORMORANT, PELAGIC CORMORANT,
      SURF SCOTER, BLACK TURNSTONE, BONAPARTE'S GULL, HEERMANN'S GULL, CALIFORNIA
      GULL, WESTERN GULL, SABINE'S GULL (1), COMMON MURRE (325), PIGEON GUILLEMOT
      (28), CASSIN'S AUKLET (13), RHINOCEROS AUKLET (9), SEA OTTER, CALIFORNIA SEA
      LION, NORTHERN ELEPHANT SEAL (2), NORTHERN FUR SEAL (4), HARBOR SEAL,
      HUMPBACK WHALE (6), NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN (175), RISSO'S DOLPHIN
      (42), PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN (250). Shearwater Journeys' other past May
      trips have recorded Flesh-footed Shearwater, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Fork-tailed
      Storm-Petrel, Xantus' Murrelets, Craveri's Murrelets, Arctic Tern.

      The leaders for our trip will be Clay Kempf, Alan Hopkins, Brian Sullivan,
      and Al Jaramillo. (I will not be on the boat, as I'll be circumnavigating
      Iceland‹by ship, of course).

      If you would like to make a reservation, please call or email me at:
      831-637-8527, debi@... until May 18th.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi
      ---