Highlights of Searcher pelagic trip, 26-30 April 2006

  • Dave Compton
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 10:07 PM
      Last week, the Searcher ran its annual four-day pelagic trip out of San
      Diego. Todd McGrath, Paul Guris, Don Desjardin, and I were leaders. The trip
      left San Diego at noon, Wednesday, 26 April, and motored northwest through
      San Diego County waters, then slipped between San Clemente and Santa
      Catalina Islands during the first night. We began birding in Santa Barbara
      County, on the south side of Santa Cruz Island, on the second day, and spent
      most of the day crisscrossing the northern Santa Barbara Channel and
      exploring waters to the south of San Miguel Island. On the third day, we
      motored west to the Rodgriguez Seamount, then south-southeast to the San
      Juan Seamount, well south of San Miguel. Our last full day was spent in LA
      County waters, at the Cortez Bank, the Mushroom, and the Sixtymile Bank. We
      returned to port early on Sunday morning, 30 April.

      A full report will be posted on the Searcher Web site:
      http://www.bajawhale.com/. Below are highlights:

      LAYSAN ALBATROSS - 4 at the San Juan Seamount and north, 28 April
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER - 1 near San Clemente Island, 26 April; 2 between
      the Rodriguez and San Juan Seamounts, 28 April
      FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL - 2 north of the Santa Rosa/Santa Cruz passage, 27
      April; 4 near the San Juan Seamount, 28 April; 1 near the Cortez Bank, 29
      April
      RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD - 2 near the Mushroom, 29 April
      LONG-TAILED JAEGER - 2 at or near the San Juan Seamount, 28 April
      ARCTIC TERN (early) - 1 between Rodriguez and San Juan, 28 April
      BLACK TERN - 1 S of Refugio State Beach, northern Santa Barbara Channel, 27
      April

      We also had Xantus's Murrelets and Leach's Storm-Petrels flying aboard at
      night, several hundred Black Storm-Petrels at a slick at the Sixtymile, and
      lots of the expected birds. Marine mammals included a VERY confiding Blue
      Whale on the first day, many Humpbacks and Dall's Porpoises, and both
      Northern and Guadalupe Fur Seals.

      Great crew, great passengers, and a really nice trip. No one seemed to mind
      missing Murphy's Petrel that much.

      Dave Compton
      Santa Barbara