Red-throated Pipit

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28 11:40 AM
      Folks

      On Wednesday I found a Red-throated Pipit just off the end of my street
      here in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County, CA. I was able to come back with a
      camera and snap some poor photos which I have uploaded on Surfbirds:

      http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery10

      The bird was around for about half an hour. When I returned to take photos
      the bird eventually flew up and circled me then took off high and direct
      towards the north. The calls it was giving were not the typical long flight
      calls, but two quick buzzes "bzzt....bzzt."

      Are there any other spring records for the state?

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo
      chucao@...
      Half Moon Bay, CA

      Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
      http://www.fieldguides.com/home.htm

    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 3:13 PM
        Al,

        A great find. As of the end of 1991, the CBRC had endorsed the occurrence
        of over 200 individual Red-throated Pipits in California, and many more have
        been reported since that time. All have been in the fall between late
        September and late November. There are two mid-winter records for the
        southern tip of Baja California - one collected 26 January 1883 and
        another photographed 1-3 February 2005. In addition single birds been seen
        in the Mexican states of Colima (March 1992) and Michoacán (April 1988) were
        likely spring migrants. Although your bird is the first to be reported in
        California in spring, two together in Oregon 28-30 April 2004, and one in
        Washington 7 May 2004, were clearly spring migrants.

        Guy McCaskie
        Secretary, CBRC
        PO Box 275
        Imperial Beach, CA 91933

        > On Wednesday I found a Red-throated Pipit just off the end of my street
        > here in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County, CA. I was able to come back with
        > camera and snap some poor photos which I have uploaded on Surfbirds:
        >
        > http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery10
        >
        > The bird was around for about half an hour. When I returned to take photos
        > the bird eventually flew up and circled me then took off high and direct
        > towards the north. The calls it was giving were not the typical long
        flight
        > calls, but two quick buzzes "bzzt....bzzt."
        >
        > Are there any other spring records for the state?
        >
        > Al
        >
        > Alvaro Jaramillo
        > chucao@...
        > Half Moon Bay, CA
        >
        > Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
        > http://www.fieldguides.com/home.htm
        >

        > --

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan Singer
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29 7:36 AM
          Al and Guy,

          In addition to the records mentioned below, Marshall had a Red-throated
          Pipit in Baja this past winter. I gather it was in the same area as the
          record from 2005. Very nice bird, Al!

          Dan