Long-tailed Duck

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi All,

      The adult male Long-tailed Duck found by Celeste Pryor Friday afternoon at
      the Lodi Sewage Ponds was seen again this morning between 8:30 - 10:30 by
      myself and other observers. It definitely favors the northwestern pond. He
      is gorgeous, and a rare inland visitor.

      The Lodi ponds are off of I-5. Take the Highway 12 exit and go south on
      Thornton Road approximately a mile. There is a small sign for White Slough
      and the power plant/sewage ponds on the right. Right after you go under the
      freeway turn left onto the road to the plant. They are open 7:30- 3:30, but
      during the week the gates may remain open until after dark.

      Cheri Pillsbury
      Stockton, San Joaquin County
    • Cheri Pillsbury
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
        Hi All,

        The Long-tailed Duck continues at the Lodi Sewage Ponds. He was first seen
        Friday afternoon, then again by multiple observers Saturday and Sunday
        morning, and late this afternoon (Monday).

        He spends a lot of time underwater, and has been missed at certain times of
        the day (so far mostly between 11 am and 2 or 3 in the afternoon). But he
        is such a stunning drake, he is worth the effort!

        Directions: I-5, take the Hwy 12 exit in Lodi, go south on Thornton Rd. for
        1.3 miles, turn right at the I-5 Frontage Road at the City of Lodi White
        Slough sign (small), proceed under the freeway and turn left at the sign for
        the water treatment/power generation plant. It's open from 7:30-3:30, but
        on weekdays the gate is usually open later to accommodate the office
        workers.

        Cheri Pillsbury
        Stockton, San Joaquin Co.
      • Bruce Deuel
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
          In case there is still any doubt that the name change of this species is official, it has been published in the Auk, Volume 117 (3): 849 (July 2000). I quote: "Change English name of Clangula hyemalis from Oldsquaw to Long-tailed Duck, to conform with English usage in other parts of the world."
          Cheers,
          Bruce Deuel
          Red Bluff