Laysan Albatross in the Desert 4/10/06

  • jeff83180
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2006
      I was on a camping trip in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park with a friend. We were
      camping near Lower Willows in Coyote Canyon. At about 8:30 am, I was observing some
      other bird (that I have completely forgotten about) when my friend says "uh Jeff... look
      quick". I look up to the southwest about 60 feet away and can't believe what I'm seeing; a
      large albatross that was not a Black-footed flying by us. I get my binoculars on it as it
      cruises by and I get an unbelievably clear view of the side and underside of a Laysan
      Albatross from 40 feet away!!! We watched it flap its way north until it was out of view
      (about 2 minutes).

      An unbelievable experience...

      I apologize for not writing sooner or calling the RBA, but I had no cell phone reception for
      a couple days and I just got home last night.

      I noticed that the Sibley Western Guide marks the area I was in as rare for the Laysan. Does
      anyone know of other observations in this area? There is an article by England and
      Laudenslayer (1995) that mentions spring pelagic bird migration at or west of San
      Gorgonio Pass. I was thinking that would be an obvious pathway for birds in the Sea of
      Cortez/Gulf of California. Although, I was farther east. The article is at http://
      www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/snrc/staff/laudenslayer/1995_laudenslayer.pdf

      I'd love to know more about my cool observation. Good birding.

      Jeff Birek
      Fresno, CA