FW: Evening Grosbeaks at Pinos

  • Paul Keller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2006
      I¹m forwarding a post of an interesting Saturday trip to the Kern-Ventura
      County area.
      --
      Paul Keller, SBA Vandenberg Village

      Subject: Evening Grosbeaks at Pinos

      I'm passing this along, since we can't post on Calbirds -

      Saturday April 8th:

      At 13:40, Bruce & I found a small flock of four Evening Grosbeaks in McGill
      Campground on Mt Pinos. The top of the mountain was full of skiers, so we
      parked outside the locked gate of McGill & walked inside. Boots are
      recommended, we were up to our knees in snow sometimes. Also, seen were
      many Red Crossbills - male, female & juvenile; Pine Siskins, Brown Creeper,
      and Phainopepla. We had a great birdlist there. We did not find
      White-headed Woodpecker.

      Also, by 08:00 at Maricopa's "Thrasher Area", on Petroleum Club Rd, past
      Kerto and up the hill; we parked in a large pull-out on the right. Then
      walked across the road. In the scrub was a parent (mom?) LeConte's Thrasher
      busy feeding (her?) short-billed, short-tailed frantically begging baby.
      The adult's call is a low, slow whistled "whit" or "ooit".

      Our original trip was to check for "SB County Scott's Orioles" on Ballinger
      Cyn Rd - no luck, it's still too early.

      Thanks,

      Cher Hollingworth

      ------ End of Forwarded Message