Re: [CALBIRDS] Mystery Sparrow

  • Jim Tietz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      Hi,

      Looks like a Savannah Sparrow. The break at the rear
      of the eyering, the strong post-ocular eyeline, the
      lack of a white spot at the rear of the auriculars,
      the lack of a hook at the rear end of the moustachial
      stripe, and the strong flank streaking (as you pointed
      out) are all wrong for Vesper Sparrow, but fine for
      Savannah.

      Jim Tietz

      --- MiriamEagl@... wrote:

      > Hi, all!
      >
      > John Top of Spring Valley sent me a photo of a
      > sparrow he and his friend
      > Bill Jones found at San Jacinto Wildlife Area the
      > last week of March, and
      > couldn't tell whether it was a Vesper or a Savannah
      > (and they missed seeing the
      > tail when it flushed). Frankly, because of the
      > angle of light, it's hard for me
      > to tell, too; it seems to have aspects of both! I
      > posted the shot on my
      > website, and it can be viewed at
      >
      > _http://miriameaglemon.com/Mystery%20Sparrow.htm_
      > (http://miriameaglemon.com/Mystery%20Sparrow.htm)
      >
      > Unfortunately the comments form I put in there
      > doesn't work, so if you could
      > respond directly to the list, that would be great!
      > Thanks,
      >
      > MB
      >
      > Mary Beth Stowe
      > San Diego, CA
      > MiriamEagl@...
      > _www.miriameaglemon.com_
      > (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

      > removed]

      James R. Tietz
      Bayside, CA
      Humboldt Co.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Terence Brashear
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        First words out my mouth with out reading the
        description - Savannah Sparrow. Looks a lot like the
        birds we see here in Minnesota.

        Regards,

        Terry

        Terry Brashear
        Hennepin County, MN
        http://www.naturepixels.com
        birdnird AT yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Feather Forestwalker
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
          Looks like a Savannah; try the "Grayish" variety as shown on page 490 of Sibley's Guide to Birds...

          Feather

          PS. I also saw in that bird a Vesper AND a Baird's, so. . .interesting - the wing coverts were the only feature that really stood out for me as being Savannah.