Mystery Sparrow

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      Hi, all!

      John Top of Spring Valley sent me a photo of a sparrow he and his friend
      Bill Jones found at San Jacinto Wildlife Area the last week of March, and
      couldn't tell whether it was a Vesper or a Savannah (and they missed seeing the
      tail when it flushed). Frankly, because of the angle of light, it's hard for me
      to tell, too; it seems to have aspects of both! I posted the shot on my
      website, and it can be viewed at

      _http://miriameaglemon.com/Mystery%20Sparrow.htm_
      (http://miriameaglemon.com/Mystery%20Sparrow.htm)

      Unfortunately the comments form I put in there doesn't work, so if you could
      respond directly to the list, that would be great! Thanks,

      MB

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

    • Jim Tietz
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        Hi,

        Looks like a Savannah Sparrow. The break at the rear
        of the eyering, the strong post-ocular eyeline, the
        lack of a white spot at the rear of the auriculars,
        the lack of a hook at the rear end of the moustachial
        stripe, and the strong flank streaking (as you pointed
        out) are all wrong for Vesper Sparrow, but fine for
        Savannah.

        Jim Tietz

        --- MiriamEagl@... wrote:

        > Hi, all!
        >
        > John Top of Spring Valley sent me a photo of a
        > sparrow he and his friend
        > Bill Jones found at San Jacinto Wildlife Area the
        > last week of March, and
        > couldn't tell whether it was a Vesper or a Savannah
        > (and they missed seeing the
        > tail when it flushed). Frankly, because of the
        > angle of light, it's hard for me
        > to tell, too; it seems to have aspects of both! I
        > posted the shot on my
        > website, and it can be viewed at
        >
        > _http://miriameaglemon.com/Mystery%20Sparrow.htm_
        > (http://miriameaglemon.com/Mystery%20Sparrow.htm)
        >
        > Unfortunately the comments form I put in there
        > doesn't work, so if you could
        > respond directly to the list, that would be great!
        > Thanks,
        >
        > MB
        >
        > Mary Beth Stowe
        > San Diego, CA
        > MiriamEagl@...
        > _www.miriameaglemon.com_
        > (http://www.miriameaglemon.com)

        > removed]

        James R. Tietz
        Bayside, CA
        Humboldt Co.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Terence Brashear
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
          First words out my mouth with out reading the
          description - Savannah Sparrow. Looks a lot like the
          birds we see here in Minnesota.

          Regards,

          Terry

          Terry Brashear
          Hennepin County, MN
          http://www.naturepixels.com
          birdnird AT yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Feather Forestwalker
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
            Looks like a Savannah; try the "Grayish" variety as shown on page 490 of Sibley's Guide to Birds...

            Feather

            PS. I also saw in that bird a Vesper AND a Baird's, so. . .interesting - the wing coverts were the only feature that really stood out for me as being Savannah.