Blair Valley (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2006
      Hi, all!

      Sue Smith and I went out to Blair Valley and Pinyon Mountain today;
      highlights include a BARN OWL and a GREAT HORNED OWL on the drive out before dawn,
      two separate SAGE THRASHERS (one each at Little Blair Valley and along the road
      to Pinyon Mountain), a single LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH bouncing over, BREWER'S
      SPARROWS that were singing up a storm about a half mile in from the bottom of
      the Pinyon Mountain Road, lots of SCOTT'S ORIOLES and LADDER-BACKED
      WOODPECKERS at both places, a singing CANYON WREN and a CHIPPING SPARROW along the
      Mortreros Trail in Blair Valley, and a GREATER ROADRUNNER with a big lizard along
      the Pinyon Mnt Road. We also made a quick stop at Julian with PINE SISKINS
      and PURPLE FINCHES at the bird feeders, and Ramona Pond where we had a
      WHITE-FACED IBIS and a breeding-plumaged WESTERN SANDPIPER that had us going for
      awhile... Full bird list below:

      Great Egret Ardea alba
      White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi
      Green-winged Teal Anas carolinensis
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Long-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus scolopaceus
      Spotted Sandpiper Actitis macularia
      Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus
      Barn Owl Tyto alba
      Great Horned Owl Bubo virginianus
      White-throated Swift Aeronautes saxatalis
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher Empidonax difficilis
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris
      American Pipit Anthus rubescens
      Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Canyon Wren Catherpes mexicanus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Sage Thrasher Oreoscoptes montanus
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Verdin Auriparus flaviceps
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Purple Finch Carpodacus purpureus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Pine Siskin Carduelis pinus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
      Brewer's Sparrow Spizella breweri
      Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus
      Scott's Oriole Icterus parisorum

      55 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA