More Bay Area Slaty-backed Gulls.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2006
      Birders

      Unfortunately, this is not one that one can chase - but no matter, Half
      Moon Bay is the most reliable place to see this species nonetheless. The
      bird I located today was in a private area in the SF Bay Area, if accepted
      it will be a new county record. I apologize for the secrecy; it is just the
      way it has to be. Here are photos of the bird:

      http://www.coastside.net/chucao/gulls/Slatyback.htm#third06b

      Keep watching the large gull flocks in the Bay Area, I am sure there are
      many Slaty-backed Gulls that have not been found yet and birds are moving
      through right now. This has been an amazing year for this species in the Bay
      Area, and it likely is due to an invasion. There have also been good photo
      records from Newfoundland, Ontario and Texas this year! I predict we will
      get an echo flight next year, but unless there is a range expansion into
      North America (as Lesser Black-backed Gull did earlier), this year may go
      down as a banner one for this species which will be very difficult to
      surpass.

      Regards

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo